Sunday, October 24, 2010

Temple Trip

October 23, 2010

Today was the Stake Temple Trip day. Caleb and Hannah really wanted to go with us. I think Cory and I should always take advantage of these requests. Since they came we weren't able to participate with the Stake but we were at least there the same day. We saw the finished Visitors Center for the first time and the kids loved it. The statue of the savior is massive: the foot of Christ is bigger than my thigh bone. He stands in front of a violet, turquoise and pink celestial looking sunrise and his gentle face looks down on you with his arms opened reaching down to everyone. I remembered parts of the Book of Mormon that read "His arms were stretched out still". I stared up into the face of the statue of Christ and felt His love and Hannah and Caleb did as well. A sister missionary sat beside Caleb and asked if he would like to hear something about Jesus Christ. He said, "You bet!" She laughed and turned on the audio. We all sat still and reverently and a couple that did not seem to be members sat down as well. The spirit was strong and I believe the couple felt it too.
I love the Temple. I love being a member of this Church. I love what President Hinkley said in one of his last talks directed to other people who were not of our faith, (summarizing of course) Take the good you have and see if we can't add a little more.

By the end of the day, The kids were a little wild but did not want to go. Caleb cried and said that he never wanted to leave the Temple. We knew how he felt but still we had to go. They both quickly fell asleep in the car (how nice). Cory and I looked back at the Temple until it was completely hidden by the surrounding buildings and only the spirit of the Temple remained.