Friday, February 8, 2008

Battle Scar

Jan. 19, 2008

Last night Caleb had his first "accident."
Every time I go to Caleb's Dr. for shots or an appointment I made, the nurses ask with out fail whether Caleb has had an "accident." I always say "no." with a tinge of pride, like this fact somehow earns me the title of Awesome Good Mommy. Well, now I have to say "Yes, he has had an accident."
Caleb was playing in the entry way of my parents house with their Chocolate Lab. The best way to describe Dutchess is a "Bull in a China closet." She is really sweet and very obedient but she doesn't know her own strength especially when she's excited. Caleb would lay on Dutchess for a few seconds and then get up and run around laughing and then come back to repeat the same thing over and over. Cory stood over the two of them to make sure Caleb didn't get hurt. Well, the dog jumped up as Caleb lay on her and Caleb fell back into an antique table in the entry way and split the back of his head open. At first we just thought he got hurt but soon the blood was visible and we knew it was more serious than a bump. My mom is a nurse (thank goodness we were at her house) and she examined him and said she thought he needed at least two stitches maybe three. Then as were about to go to the ER to wait forever to be seen, my dad said why don't we just put super glue in it. I thought he was joking and so did Cory. But he wasn't. then my mom said that when she worked in the ER surgeons often used super glue to minimize scaring. Cory and I decided well, okay. Super glue it is. Caleb was a champ patient, my mom was in charge of the super glue part, my dad provided light and his professional opinion during the procedure and Cory and I kept Caleb distracted with popcorn and marshmallows. It was a success!

1 comments:

The Potter Pack said...

Hey Steph !! How sad about his battle wound ... but I have used glue before for small cuts on myself ... so, that is good to know it can be used on something like this !! Hope you are well ... just saw your blog on Jill's page ... ck out ours at www.thepotterpack.blogspot.com - Take care of that boy ... and tell Cory Hi !