Monday, October 3, 2011

A "first"

Aug. 31, 2011

This is Dennis Moore. He is my Father's dad. I met him for the first time this morning.

He knew me as a child of course but since my parents divorced when I was 3, I have no memories of him. This morning at Connie's house he came over (he lives in OK and was in Bakersfield to visit family members he hadn't seen in years and since he and I are corresponding via snail-mail [my favorite] we set a date and a time to talk in person.
I was very nervous to meet him. I was afraid he'd be like my Dad, or at least look like him. I was afraid that if I let Dennis into my life I would be letting in all the other things I had kept out and forgotten.
Well, even though I was nervous, I decided I wanted to meet him anyway. I am very glad that I did because it was better than I had hoped. He was very kind and good to Caleb and Hannah. He told me about himself, his family and asked me about mine. After 2 hours we said Good-bye and parted ways. I watched him drive away thankful and grateful.

It was good.

0 comments: